Thursday, October 23, 2008

Real World. PHilt's BFF, True Life

In one of my classes today, we talked about the "American Dream" and if it were still feasible and attainable in todays society. I had to do a lot of research on the topic to really understand what it meant to have the American Dream, and I came across an interesting point about how reality tv and reality stars are in a way molesting the whole idea of the American dream. It really made me start to think about how reality tv has really taken over our lives and the television in general. How many hours a week do typical Americans sit in front of the tv set and watch reality show after reality show, I know that I am guilty of this, because as I sit here thinking of a topic for my public discourse paper and realize how relevant reality shows are to the topic, I am watching the newest episode of True Life on MTV. It tends to suck you in. And most of the time it is ridiculously stupid.

American Idol started off pretty legit, now they are seeing the same people they have seen for the past, what 6 seasons? The talent isn't getting better, people are just trying out for their 15 minutes of fame. Who really wants to be Paris Hilton's Next Best Friend? Seriously MTV how pathetic can you get. As long as these shows are available to watch, people will watch them. Which is what is most pitiful about the whole situation. Now, I'm not saying all reality shows are terrible, I don't think you would really consider American Idol one, but just along those lines of let's thing up the next stupid thing that Americans can apply for to make a fool of themselves and look like complete jackasses on tv.

The idea of the American Dream being molested stems from the idea that reality tv is giving the impression to my generation that they can sit on their asses, fill out an application, and make a million dollars on some reality show that has no merit and really won't get you anywhere else in life. How many times does Tila Tequila need to try and figure out if shes heterosexual or homosexual? How many Bachelors really found true love and didn't end up in divorce?

For my public discourse paper I am thinking about analyzing how consumed with reality television our society is today and how many different reality shows are out there and available for couch potatoes to watch. How about you get off your ass, stop watching the Amazing Race and get to the gym and work out yourself. Stop wishing you could be PHilton's new BFF, it's not going to happen she's going to treat you like a personal assistant and as soon as she realized you're not "Hott" enough, you're going to end up looking even more pathetic than you already do.

No comments: